Knox Bennett,Garry

Knox Bennett,Garry


Garry Knox Bennett was born in Alameda, CA in 1934, and entered California College of the Arts (CCA) in Oakland, CA as a painter.  While at CCA, he also studied sculpture and pursued both disciplines with modest success for about seven years.  In the 1960s he met Wayne Theibaud and Mel Ramos, Jack Ogden and other influential California artists and realized he had a long way to go vis-a-vis painting.  He turned to object making in the early 70's."

His exhibition history includes a number of solo and group exhibitions at museums across the country and abroad such as California’s museums of art in San Francisco and Oakland; Renwick Gallery, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA; Victoria & Albert Museum, London, England; Bellevue Arts Museum, Bellevue, WA; and Museum of Arts & Design, New York, NY.  Bennett’s work has also been featured in numerous solo and group shows at galleries in this country.

The California native’s work has been the subject of numerous books, articles, and exhibition catalogues including New American Furniture: The Second Generation of Studio Furniture Makers, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1989, and The Maker’s Hand: American Studio Furniture 1940-1990, also published by the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 2003.  Among his honors and awards, Bennett received The Furniture Society’s Award of Distinction in 2004; in 1996, he was inducted into the College of Fellows by the American Craft Council; and, in 1984, he was awarded a Visual Artist’s Fellowship from the National Endowment for the Arts.


His work is in the permanent collections of the Museum of Arts & Design, New York, NY; De Young Museum, San Francisco, CA; Fine Arts Museum, Mobile, AL; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, MA; Renwick Gallery, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC; Victoria & Albert Museum, London, England; Montreal Museum of Art, Montreal, Canada; San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, and Oakland Museum of California.  Bennett has maintained his studio in Oakland, CA since 1966.